- Do you hate writing blog entries?
- Is it a challenge to come up with new topics?
- Are you admittedly baffled by blogging?
Blogging can be easy, enjoyable, AND increase your business – if you do it the right way.
Here are 9 easy ways to dramatically improve your blog.
1. Write articles that readers will benefit from.
For example, Kraft Foods doesn’t write articles for their website entitled, “Buy more Kraft Foods products”. Instead, they post simple, delicious recipes1 that use Kraft ingredients.
If your blog articles are informative and helpful, instead of a direct sales pitch, more people will visit and revisit your blog.
Additional benefit: Writing informative articles builds your reputation as being an expert in your field.
2. Keep it short and focused.
According to research by Nielson Online2, Americans spend an average of 56 seconds on a webpage. Taking into consideration that the average person reads about 300 words per minute, I recommend blog articles be 250 – 500 words in length.
3. Watch your paragraph length.
Have you attempted to read extremely long paragraphs online? It’s difficult.
In fact, eye-tracking studies show that online readers tend to skip large blocks of text. It’s visually overwhelming for readers to see long paragraphs online, so break them up into shorter ones.
4. Use bullet points when providing a series of information.
- Attract a readers’ eye.
- Highlight important information.
- Help readers’ find what they’re looking for more quickly.
5. Provide detailed subtitles throughout the article.
This technique helps draw readers into paragraphs farther down the page. A note of caution: I don’t consider “My conclusion” to be an interesting subtitle3.
6. Include links to your website in your article.
This will drive readers to key information on your website. Plus, clicking on links is fun!
7. If including an image, make sure it has a purpose.
Most people come to a website looking for information, not images. Make sure that key points of your text are most prominent.
8. Don’t be afraid to show some personality!
Don’t hide behind the company you’re writing for – people want to know that a real person (like Lindsay Talsness) is writing the article. I strongly encourage using pronouns like, “we” or “I” instead of “the company”.
9. Include a call to action.
Such as, “Don’t have a blog yet? Looking for ways to grow your business online? At Metro Studios, we’d love to help you. Contact us today to get started!”
1. Polynesian-glazed meatballs are a favorite at my house.
2. Nielsen Online (2009). Nielsen Online provides topline U.S. Data for March 2009 [Electronic version]. Retrieved May 8, 2009, from http://nielsen-online.com/pr/pr_090414.pdf
3. However, this subtitle is interesting.
Mi-T-M – Leading Manufacturer of Pressure Washers
Bench Solution – The space-saving garage workbench and slatwall solution.
Rollout Mat – offering a line of lightweight mats designed for home/personal use, including tumbling mats, wrestling mats, cheer mats, and MMA mats.
B4Brands.com – The environmental choice for hand hygiene products, including: hand sanitizer, hand soap, hand lotion and a wide selection of manual and automatic dispensers. Ideal for schools and hospitals.
CrystalRugged.com – Designs and manufactures rugged computers, servers (1U – 4U), displays and embedded systems.